So, you want to love yourself more?
Awesome. I can definitely help you with that.
In this post, I am going to share with you 50 practical ways that you can love yourself more starting right now.
But, before we jump in, let’s talk about what I even mean when I say self love, since it doesn’t mean the same thing to everyone.
In particular, I want to clarify the difference between self love and self acceptance. Many people use these terms interchangeably but I don’t.
That’s because, in my experience, the energy “under” them is different. Understanding that difference helps you see “where to look” and shows you how they work in tandem with one another.
So, here are my current working definitions:
What is Self Love?
Self-love is the practice deliberately understanding your Truth (which includes your personality, your needs, and your emotions) and then, seeking sustainable and satisfying ways to live according to it.
You can’t do that if you are rejecting or demonizing who you are, how you feel, and what you need. This is where self-acceptance comes in.
What is Self Acceptance?
Self Acceptance is the ability to come into the present moment of your Truth without judging it as wrong, bad, too much, or not enough.
Accepting yourself is the ability to see yourself as whole and complete, right now, and enables you to live a life steeped in self love.
Simply put, self-love is taking deep, holistic care of your mind, emotions, body, and spirit and self-acceptance is the attitude that allows that kind of care.
From personal experience, and in witnessing the experience of my clients, trying to practice self-love without that foundation of self-acceptance is like banging your head against the wall and wondering why your head hurts. You’ve got to have both.
If you want to learn my favorite set of tools for self-acceptance, be sure to check out my eCourse, Shadow + Light. In the course, I walk you through, step-by-step, on how to cultivate an attitude of acceptance towards yourself. Sign up for the course by clicking here.
So, with all that said, here are 50 ways you can love yourself more:
- Ask yourself what you need, right now, in this moment and make a plan for satisfying that need.
- Be vulnerable with people you trust.
- Cultivate healthy relationships.
- Hang out with people who “get you.”
- Make peace with food.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Speak up for yourself.
- Trust yourself.
- Practice appreciation for who you are.
- Make space for self-discovery.
- Create rituals that nourish you spiritually.
- Have fun.
- Help others from an overflow of love, rather than from a sense of obligation.
- Create safe spaces in your home and in your relationships.
- Learn how to communicate with the people you care about.
- Seek a community of people who hold similar values.
- Nourish yourself.
- Take time to soak in the beauty of nature.
- Take your power back.
- Be patient as you rediscover your Truth. (It will probably be a bumpy ride!)
- Celebrate your wins.
- Give yourself space to heal.
- Cultivate a relationship with the Divine (God, Source, Universe, Etc.) that feels loving and supportive.
- Let yourself laugh, even when it isn’t “appropriate.”
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Practice being present in the moment.
- Tell yourself the Truth.
- Take time to deeply understand your habits and patterns.
- Have sex. With others and/or with yourself.
- Listen to music that soothes you.
- Define what happiness means to you.
- Wear whatever you want.
- Grieve your losses.
- Practice courage and bravery.
- Create hygiene rituals based on what feels good to your body (instead of trying to please others with your appearance).
- Spend time with people who make you laugh.
- Volunteer in ways that feel like you’ve received at least as much as you’ve given.
- Find rhythms in life that work for you.
- Practice cultivating compassion, for yourself and others.
- Prioritize the relationships that nourish you.
- Create systems of order and organization in your home, your business/office, and even your car.
- Stop using the words should, have to, and must. (This will seriously change your life.)
- Consider ALL of your needs when making decisions about how to move forward.
- Remain open to other ideas, cultures, and belief systems.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Let life be funny.
- Allow others to benefit from your joy.
- Stay curious.
Well, there you have it, 50 ways to love yourself more. I hope that you have found these ideas helpful and that, from a place of self acceptance, you will begin to put them into practice in your life.